Investment Policy Monitor
UNCTAD has been collecting information on changes in national foreign direct investment (FDI) policies on an annual basis since 1992. This collection has provided input to the analysis of global and regional investment policy trends in the World Investment Report, the quarterly Investment Policy Monitor (since 2009) and the UNCTAD-OECD Reports on G20 Measures.
In 2011, to further strengthen the quality of reporting, UNCTAD revised the methodology of monitoring investment policy measures. and revised the measures going back to 2000 accordingly.
The Investment Policy Monitor provides the international investment community with country-specific, up-to-date information about the latest developments in foreign investment policies.
Through its monitoring of investment policy changes, UNCTAD offers cutting-edge and innovative contributions to investment policy discourse, and contributes to preparing the ground for future policymaking in the interest of making foreign investment work for growth and development.
Note: the policy measures are identified through a systematic review of government and business intelligence sources. Measures are verified, to the fullest extent possible, by referencing government sources. The compilation of measures is not exhaustive.
Disclaimer: the boundaries and names shown and the designations used on this map do not imply official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations.
Governmental control over foreign investment in oil industry introduced27 Feb 2020
On 27 February 2020, the Government Emergency Ordinance amending the Petroleum Law No. 238/2004 entered into force. Under the new law, the National Agency for Mineral Resources is now competent to refuse any concession and execution of oil operations for the exploration, development and exploitation of an oil field to a non-EU entity on national security grounds. In the same vein, any transfer of a concession is only possible after obtaining governmental approval; otherwise it is null and void.
- Entry and establishment (Approval and admission)
- Primary (Mining and quarrying)
- Manufacturing (Manufacture of coke and refined petroleum products)
- PORTAL LEGISLATIV, ORDONANȚĂ DE URGENȚĂ nr. 27 din 4 februarie 2020, http://legislatie.just.ro/Public/DetaliiDocumentAfis/223352, 27 Feb 2020
- CMS Legal, Romania passes new rules for petroleum concessions acquisitions and divestitures, https://www.cms-lawnow.com/ealerts/2020/03/romania-passes-new-rules-for-petroleum-concessions-acquisitions-and-divestitures?cc_lang=en, 06 Mar 2020