High-level IIA Conference 2019
Save the Date: 13 November 2019 – UNCTAD High-level IIA Conference
Save the date for UNCTAD’s High-level IIA Conference 2019 scheduled to take place in Geneva on Wednesday, 13 November.
International investment policymaking is in a dynamic phase, with far-reaching implications.
The High-level IIA Conference will bring together representatives of States, intergovernmental organizations and other stakeholders to take stock of IIA reform progress and lessons learned.
The Conference will be held in conjunction with the 11th session of the UNCTAD Investment, Enterprise and Development Commission from 11–15 November 2019.
Taking Stock of Phase 2 Reform Actions
UNCTAD’s policy tools for Phase 2 of IIA Reform have spurred initial action to modernize old-generation treaties. Increasingly, countries interpret, amend, replace or terminate outdated treaties.
While IIA reform is progressing, much remains to be done. The stock of old-generation treaties is 10 times larger than the number of modern, reform-oriented treaties, and investors continue to resort to old-generation treaties when bringing investor–State dispute settlement cases.
The High-level IIA Conference will aim to pave the way for further inclusive, transparent and synchronized IIA reform processes in the pursuit of sustainable development.
- “Taking Stock of Phase 2 Reform Actions”
- UNCTAD High-level IIA Conference
- 13 November 2019, Geneva
Programme and Registration
- Register for the event (registration guidelines and support available on the registration page)
- Information on the draft programme will be made available soon.
Past High-Level IIA Conferences
UNCTAD Reports on IIA and ISDS Policy Trends
- World Investment Report 2019 - Chapter III: Recent Policy Developments and Key Issues Download
- Reforming Investment Dispute Settlement: A Stocktaking (March 2019) Download
- Fact Sheet on Investor–State Dispute Settlement Cases in 2018 (May 2019) Download
- Taking Stock of IIA Reform: Recent Developments (June 2019) Download
- Review of ISDS Decisions in 2018: Selected IIA Reform Issues (July 2019) Download
UNCTAD Policy Tools for IIA Reform
- Investment Policy Framework for Sustainable Development (2015) Download
- Reform Package for the International Investment Regime (2018) Download
UNCTAD Investment Policy Online Databases
- International Investment Agreements Navigator Browse
- IIA Mapping Project Browse
- Investment Dispute Settlement Navigator Browse
- Investment Laws Navigator Browse