UNCTAD Virtual IIA Conference 2020: “IIA Reform in Times of COVID-19”
Date: Thursday, 26 November 2020
Time: 11:00 to 14:00 Geneva time (CET, GMT+1)
The UNCTAD Virtual IIA Conference 2020 “IIA Reform in Times of COVID-19” will be held on Thursday, 26 November. It will be hosted online from 11:00 to 14:00 Geneva time. The event will bring together representatives of Governments, regional and international organizations, and other IIA stakeholders. Panellists will discuss key questions surrounding “IIA Reform in Times of COVID-19”.
"IIA Reform in Times of COVID-19"
IIA reform remains a daunting task for all member States, with challenges exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. Policymakers, IIA practitioners, civil society and legal scholars need to urgently take stock of ongoing reform efforts in times of COVID-19, in terms of both what IIA reform measures countries and regional organizations undertook or are considering to undertake in response to the crisis, and how to maintain and strengthen the reform momentum in light of the increased fragility of economies around the world that places added emphasis on the importance of FDI as a means of development finance. The Virtual IIA Conference will aim to pave the way for further inclusive, transparent, and synchronized IIA reform processes in the pursuit of sustainable development in the post COVID-19 era.
- The event is open to IIA stakeholders (governments, regional and international organizations, civil society, business, academia etc.) upon registration. The registration process closed on Wednesday, 18 November.
Video messages and written statements
- The Virtual IIA Conference will be held against the backdrop of recorded video messages and written statements from governments and other stakeholders around the world informing about ongoing reform efforts. The submitted videos and statements are available here.
Event format and preliminary programme
- The event will feature two panels. The detailed programme is now available.
Past high-level IIA conferences
UNCTAD reports on IIA and ISDS policy trends
- International Investment Agreements Reform Accelerator (2020) Download
- World Investment Report 2020 - Chapter III: Recent Policy Developments and Key Issues Download
- IIA Issues Note: Investor–State Dispute Settlement Cases Pass the 1,000 Mark: Cases and Outcomes in 2019 (July 2020) Download
- IIA Issues Note The Changing IIA Landscape: New Treaties and Recent Policy Developments (July 2020) Download
- Investment Policy Monitor: Special Issue - Investment Policy Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic (May 2020) Download
UNCTAD policy tools for IIA reform
- Reform Package for the International Investment Regime (2018) Download
- Investment Policy Framework for Sustainable Development (2015) Download